Tuesday, September 9, 2014

What I'm Doing Now...


I'm tired as hell. I didn't sleep well last night and my back is killing me for some reason. But that's neither here nor there...

I am launching an online magazine for black women (not just lesbians but all black women). This idea was in part based on Ed Lewis's book about Essence Magazine. I truly believe I can produce better content for black women than the so-called premier magazine for black women....that is now owned by white people.

I already have a catchy name for my venture, which will be revealed at a later date. 

I have also hired three black women to write and edit my magazine. These women are educated and about their business. Two of them studied journalism. The other struck me as interesting after she revealed that she was the surrogate who carried Robert Dinero's child (remember he married a black woman and they brought a child into this world using a surrogate).

My magazine will be subscription based with subscriptions being $1.99 a month or $9.99 a year. Bowtie Lez was my test pilot for subscription based content. Now that I know it can work I'm moving forward. 

Most of the content will be written by me...in the beginning. The content will be both journalistic and opinion. I plan to write several exposes and true life stories. I always thought it would be cool to write about black women's personal stories battling domestic violence, rape, stalking, single parenthood, corporate America, poverty, etc. Imagine Lifetime from back in the day, but focusing on black women who have survived the bullshit. 

Below is a list of reoccurring topics that will be featured in my magazine...
  • Abandoned black children: Stories of children who've become wards of the state.
  • The Jim Crow Narratives: Stories about blacks who survived Jim Crow.
  • Nickeled & Dimed: Stories about the black poor. 
  • Tired & Fed Up: Stories about black folks who are sick of their jobs. 
  • Crime Narratives: Stories about black women who survived domestic violence and other crimes.
  • Black, Beautiful, & Successful: Stories of black women who made it.  
  • Love & Relationships: Stories of black women in love and struggling with love.
  • Black & Female: Stories of racism and sexism as faced by black women.
  • Missing: Stories of missing black women and children (I plan to write about the missing and the impact it has on their family). 
  • Unsung Heroes: Black women who are making a difference in their community. 
The list above is still growing. In addition to these topics I want to do investigative journalism. For example, in 1934 William Alexander Scott, the black owner and publisher of Atlanta Daily World, was shot dead in front of his home. No one was ever convicted of the crime. I'm convinced he was killed by the klan. I would love to speak with members of his family about the unsolved murder.

I would also love to create a monthly comic strip featuring a black woman. I haven't decided if she will be a superhero or not, but I always wanted to create a dynamic, on-point, black heroine. 

There will also be news, entertainment, celebrity interviews and gossip. However, my content will be original and driven by personal narratives. To my knowledge, there isn't a black site offering the content I have in mind. 

Anyway, let me know what you think!
Related Posts with Thumbnails