Saturday, September 27, 2014

Something I Should Have Done A Long Time Ago...

Not My Actual Ring

Today I purchased my college class ring. I graduated from college years ago, but I'm only now purchasing my class ring. Why? When I was in college I couldn't afford my class ring. I was a broke graduating senior who was about to enter the world in what turned out to be the hardest hit economy since the Great Depression. 

I didn't even have a job lined up after graduation. I didn't bother asking my parents for help purchasing the ring because I knew that would be a dead end. If I were ever going to get my ring I would have to purchase it myself. I promised myself once I was able I would purchase my class ring.

My class ring is important to me because Spelman College is important to me. It is my hope that one day I will have a daughter who will follow in my footsteps and attend Spelman. Hopefully, she will have a ring of her own one day. I'm hoping I am the beginning of a legacy. 

I had to work hard and push myself through college without much financial help or parental support from my parents. I didn't come from the close two parent household like my freshman and sophomore roommates. For the first year or so I struggled with depression and everything else. So much so that my hair began to fall out. I think this was one of the lowest points in my life.

Post college I also fell into a self-loathing period as I watched friends from college finish law school and go on to start families of their own. I felt like a loser (boy if I knew then what I know now...all that glitters is not gold...those folks today aren't doing any better than I was back then). I felt like I was being left behind.

Now as a twenty-nine year old woman, who has accomplished some success in life, I feel vindicated. This ring makes me feel vindicated. I could have purchased it a year or two ago, but maybe the moment wasn't right. Maybe I was waiting to get to a certain point in my life before I purchased the ring. 

Anyway, I bought the ring in the picture with Spelman's seal. The only difference is my ring is 14k gold and antique finish...


Grand total = $963.00

This is one of the happiest days of my life.
Related Posts with Thumbnails