Saturday, June 14, 2014

Brainstorming & Rearranging My Apartment


Today I rearranged my apartment. I live in studio and there is limited space. I'm donating my large recliner to the Salvation Army. It's being replaced by a small old oak wood school desk that I bought off Craigslist. It kinda looks like this...


Except its bigger and it sits on four legs. The desk is made of oak wood and it opens like this...


I bought it because my other desk was getting crowded. I also bought it so I can sit at my manual typewriter and write comfortably. My current desk sits high. Trying to use a manual typewriter (or an electric typewriter) on it is challenging. It's great for my imac desktop computer, but not a typewriter. 

Speaking of typewriters, I have found a new friend in the manual typewriter I bought off Ebay a year ago....


When I bought this typewriter I didn't realize the font is slanted. I was disappointed in the typewriter. I didn't give it much of a chance. I disregarded it. I put it back into its case and tossed in a closet. 

Well, yesterday I started playing around with the typewriter and I was amazed by its features. I also felt incredibly at ease using it. I started out typing one line. That one line turned into a paragraph. That one paragraph became the first page of my new novel, Rhythm & Blues.

This typewriter is going to sit on my new desk and I'm going to churn out my novel on it. I'm excited. No spell check. No dictionary. No auto correct. All I have is the typewriter, my brain, and the words on the paper. This will make me a better writer.

Today, I did some brainstorming for Rhythm & Blues. I decided the story won't take place in Detroit. That's too obvious for a girl group from the 1950s/1960s. Instead, the story will start in Mound Bayou, Mississippi.  It will also be told in the first person from one of the women involved in the love story.

Why the change?

There are a few reasons for it...
  1. The south is near and dear to my heart.
  2. Mound Bayou, Mississippi is a very unique town. Mound Bayou was founded by black people FOR black people. Up until the end of Jim Crow is was known as a self-sufficient town for black people despite being in Mississippi and the deep south. It excites me to write about a town run by black folks with black farmers, doctors, lawyers, business men etc.
  3. I decided to tell this story in the first person after watching Fried Green Tomatoes and The Notebook last night. To my knowledge there hasn't been a true depiction of love between black women....not a fetish or the stereotypical bullshit...but true love. I know how I feel about black women. I know what I want to read.
I'm trying to decide what decade I want members of my girl group to be born. Part of me wants them to be born in the early twenties, but that would put them in their 40's in the 1960s. R&B, as we know  it, didn't come alive until the late 1950s. So, that could be a problem.

Anyway, I'm on a roll and I'm not slowing down or stopping. 

Related Posts with Thumbnails