Thursday, May 29, 2014

OMG...This Is Exciting!


For most of today I've been researching everything I can about Maya Angelou. I honestly don't know much about the woman and I'm sorry to say I never took time out to learn much about her...until she died. She was born the same year as my grandmother (1928) and she died the same year as my grandmother (2014)....at age eighty-six (R.I.P.). I purchased several of her books from Amazon (her books are on back order...apparently I'm not the only person who wants to learn more about her). I went through my collection of books and found a book of poems by Ms. Angelou and the book The Heart of a Woman.

While researching Maya Angelou I ran across I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings the film on Youtube. I remember seeing parts of the movie when I was a little girl. I also read the book when I was a little girl in elementary school. While watching the film on Youtube I noticed the film Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry in the recommended videos in the sidebar. I couldn't believe my eyes. I never even knew there was a film for the book!


For those of you who don't know Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry is probably the most famous series of black children's books ever produced. I read the whole series when I was a kid. I loved it so much that I purchased the series with the hope of passing it to my own children one day...






Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry, and the other books in the series, teach black children about their history in a way that children can understand. It also teaches them about racism and white supremacy. The series so inspires me that I've decided one day I will write a children's book for black children with lesbian parents.

Anyway, check out the film and pick up the series!
Related Posts with Thumbnails