Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Gawdammit I Think I Got It...


For weeks now I've been picking my brain for a story idea that I can turn into a screenplay and produce into a film. Well, I think I finally have something. It's been staring me in the face this whole time. 

I am going to write a coming to age story about a 12/13 year old black lesbian. The story is going to be loosely based on my life and experiences growing up in a dysfunctional family in the rural south. It's going to be narrated by the protagonist (the 12/13 year old girl). In my head it's going to be a combination of Crooklyn, A Christmas Story, Eve's Bayou and Soul Food.

To my knowledge there has NEVER been a coming of age story that was narrated by a young black lesbian. The only thing that even comes close is Pariah, but even that movie fell short in my opinion. It wasn't narrator, the main character wasn't likeable (or attractive) and the plot was...well...not that great. I couldn't relate to the character...even though she was a black lesbian.

I can only think of 2 films that are told from the perspective of a young black girl: Crooklyn and Eve's Bayou. So, I'm about to create something the world has never seen.

What inspired this idea? I spent most of my day yesterday listening to family members laugh and joke about good times as we sat around grandmother's bed. 

My mom told a story about my dad... 

My dad was over my mom's house visiting when my grandmother (his mother...the one that's dying) called and asked him to go check on my oldest aunt (his sister). She was in an abusive marriage. My mom was pregnant with me at the time. My dad told my mom to stay in the car as he ran into my aunt's apartment to see what the hell was happening. A few minutes later my dad is chasing my aunt's husband out the door! My dad is swinging a chain over his head (helicopter style) behind the nigga and shouting "Don't you ever put your hands on my sister again!" My aunt's husband is running out the apartment half dressed with one shoe on his foot.

When I heard this story I just about died! 

At the time, my dad had a long juicy Jheri curl and he dressed like Rick James (believe it or not he still does...SMH)...


The thought of this man swinging a chain is too damn funny!

I started thinking about my family as characters. The more I think about it, the more I realize my experience growing up in rural Georgia as a black lesbian is unique and worth telling. I'm going to sit down and start writing tomorrow. Maybe if I get a good script I can raise the 250k I need to make a decent film.
Related Posts with Thumbnails