Monday, March 10, 2014

Sweat: Mollica Bakunda


Sweat is a success! 

I've been receiving fan mail from people who picked up chapter one on Barnes and Noble Nook and Amazon Kindle and it is so exciting! I'm very pleased that most of my reviews have been favorable. I'm fully aware that everyone will NOT like Sweat. Everyone will not like details about the characters. Everyone will not like Sweat because everyone doesn't like me. 

It's a good thing that I'm not trying to please everyone!

Sweat is my baby! People who like it will continue to support it. People who don't like it will ignore it. Shit, that's life. I'm not going to write my stories the way you (in general) want me to write them. Sweat is FICTION. Sweat is FLUFF (albeit good fluff). Most importantly of all Sweat is a SOAP OPERA. 

To my knowledge, I am the FIRST black lesbian (and probably the first lesbian period) to pioneer a written serial about lesbians...specifically BLACK lesbians. I plan to write Sweat for years and years. Who knows? Maybe it will end up on HBO or Showtime.

It's not going to read like a Toni Morrison novel. It's not intended to read like a Toni Morrison novel. If you are expecting that type of thought-provoking fiction from Sweat keep it moving. This ain't that type of party. 

Sweat is intended to be "guilty pleasure" entertainment. It is intended to be fun, lively, drama filled, soapy, entertainment. Next...

Chapter two of Sweat is coming. I'm still working on it. Some of you might be pissed off, but I have to rewrite chapter two...again. Why? Because I want to introduce another character. 

For as long as I can remember I've been interested in creating a character who is a black lesbian and a huge R&B superstar. I'm a big fan of old school R&B and soul (as some of you know). I always wanted to create a beautiful soulful black lesbian who can sing her ass off.

In my head this character is reminiscent of Whitney Houston at the height of her success...


I loved everything about this woman as a young girl. She was my FIRST crush. She had it all...looks, beauty, and the best damn voice in the world. She is the only celebrity I have cried over. I tried my eyes out when she died (R.I.P).

Anyway, I always said I would create a character based on Whitney Houston with more than a hint of Anita Baker as well...


My R&B superstar is Mollica Bakunda (pronounced Moe-lee-ca)

Mollica was born in Rwanda. Her family moved to America in 1992, which was two years before the genocide took place in Rwanda. They left to escape what was happening to people like them (Tutsis...they were being massacred by Hutus). The family settled in New York, but moved to Toronto shortly after arriving in the west. Mollica arrives in the states when Whitney Houston is at the height of her success. To say Whitney had a life changing impact on Mollica is an understatement. Without giving away too much about Mollica and the role she plays in Sweat...I'll say Olivia was right...Odessa wasn't exactly a nun while living in New York.

As you can see, I've combined my current interest in Rwanda with my fiction. This happens alot in my fiction. I love mixing fiction with historical events and facts. I believe it was fate that I became interested in Rwanda. My interest in the country helped me imagine the character that has been buried in the back of my mind for years. She didn't have a name or a background, but thanks to my interest in all things Rwanda she now has all of the above. Cheers!

I'm so excited. 

Stay tuned..
Related Posts with Thumbnails