Friday, March 21, 2014

A Trip To The Natural Hair Salon


Today I went to the natural hair salon and got my hair twisted. I'm trying to lock my hair. I've tried several times, but I've never been able to make it pass the third month. I swear this time will be different. I have marked the date on my calendar. In a month I will return to the salon and have my hair re-twisted. 

I don't make it to hair salons very often, but when I do I usually enjoy my visit. Salons and barbershops are great places to meet black folks. They are great places to get a glimpse of what's going on in the black community. They are good places to see and hear the souls of black folks. 

At the salon I met a middle aged black woman who began telling me about her job at the Hyatt hotel in downtown Atlanta. I know the hotel very well because I used to attend career fairs there when I was a student at Spelman College. It's probably one of the biggest and grandest hotels in Atlanta.

Well anyway this woman began telling me about all the things she has witnessed while working as a security guard at the hotel. She told me stories about the hotel's employees having sex with each other in the rooms of the hotel. She told me about people getting drunk at the bar and getting upset when the bar closes. She told me stories about customers asking her for condoms and employees hustling condoms to customers. She told me stories about people being stuck in the hotel for three days during Atlanta's snow storm. < This last statement turned on the light bulb!

I'm so happy I ran across this woman because she gave me the back story for the lesbian romantic comedy I have in my head. I'm going to write a script (or maybe a novella) about a hotel manager who finds herself snowed in at a hotel with a cast of characters who are in town for a lesbian convention. In the process of managing the hotel she falls in love with one of the guest. 

YES! This could work! 

Maybe I should go to the hair salon more often!
Related Posts with Thumbnails