Friday, February 28, 2014

I Can't Avoid It Any Longer

 

I have officially stepped into the matrix. I have been avoiding it. The librarian in me would NOT let me abandon books and go to the dark side. I couldn't avoid it much longer. I briefly owned an Apple ipad mini in 2012, but I took it back to the store because it had a defect. After that I vowed to stay away from tablets. Today, I'm ashamed to say, I bought a tablet....a Kindle Fire HDX to be exact. 

Say it ain't so???

I own a regular Amazon Kindle e-reader, but I rarely use it. Why? Because I prefer BOOKS. I could never get used to an e-reader. I like turning the pages of books. I like the feel of books in my hand. The only reason I bough the e-reader is because I was fascinated by the technology. That technology has helped put over two hundred thousand dollars in my pocket. 

As a writer, I love tablets and e-readers. I can get international distribution of my work without going broke from printing cost. However, as a former librarian (and lover of books) e-readers and tablets make me sad as hell. I don't want to see a day when books stop existing. I don't think this will ever happen, but you never know. 

Anyway, I had my reasons for purchasing a tablet. Here is one of them...

 
I wanted a subscription to this magazine. The magazine is published in the UK. In order to get a print verison of it delivered to my home in Atlanta, Georgia USA I would have to pay $90! Whereas the digital version of the magazine is much cheaper and delivered to my tablet every month. Well, common sense prevailed. I bought a tablet and a subscription to this magazine. 

I am reading everything I can find about African businesses and the economy in various African nations. I went on Amazon and bought every book I could find about emerging businesses in Africa. I am dead serious about packing my shit and leaving the USA. I just need to decide where I want to go and set up shop. Right now South Africa, Kenya, Nigeria, and Ghana are at the top of the list.

Anyway, for now, I will continue to educate myself.
Related Posts with Thumbnails