Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Atlanta: The Laughing Stock Of The World Right Now

Can't believe these niggas are trying to blame me for this disaster. They knew I was coming!

If you haven't heard Atlanta has become the laughing stock of the world. A snow storm hit the city yesterday and all hell broke loose because the city (and the state) wasn't prepared for it. Parents sent their kids to school as normal. Parents went to work as normal. It was business as usual in Atlanta. 

Why? 

According to our hillbilly redneck governor, Nathan Deal, the weather report wasn't clear. 

At one point we were told the storm wouldn't hit Atlanta. People in Atlanta were told the storm would go south of Atlanta. Then around 12 or 1pm when snow started falling folks in Atlanta were told to get home ASAP. At that point snow was falling and turning into icy.

So the million plus people who live in and around Atlanta hit the interstate to get home...

Interstate 75

That's when the chaos happened. There were accidents. People's car ran out of gas after being stuck in traffic so long. Trucks became jackknifed. School buses ran out of gas...



Some people abandoned their cars in search of food, shelter and a bathroom....


Everybody is looking for answers. How could this happen in a major city? Why wasn't Atlanta prepared? Why the hell can't Georgians drive in 1-2 inches of snow? Why didn't they close the schools for the day? 

I have the answers....

I have lived in Georgia my entire life. When I was a child it snowed ONCE in Georgia and I believe that was in 1993. The following year we had a flood. Then something happened...

In 2008 around January or February it snowed. I remember it well because I went out to the patio of my apartment and stared in shock. I was amazed. It was the first time I'd seen snow since 1993. But then it snowed again 2009, 2010 and 2011. That's when I started asking myself, what the hell is going on here?

But then in 2012 we went from summer to fall to spring. We skipped over winter. It was 72 degrees in December that year.

So, I'm not surprised this winter storm caught Atlanta by surprise. We are not used to it. This winter we reached single digit temperatures...something I've never seen here.

When it comes to tornadoes, tropical storms (courtesy of hurricanes from Florida), thunderstorms and even hail, Georgia can deal. However, snow and ice are foreign things to us. I don't believe the state is going to invest in equipment that we use once or twice every 5, 10 or 20 years. It's cheaper to just shut the state down.

People keep saying Georgia needs to throw down some salt. True, but Georgia is not NY, PA, NJ, MI etc. I'm sure the city was better prepared than in 2011, but still, we now know it wasn't sufficient. Lesson learned.

I don't know what's up with the weather here. Someone definitely needs to look into it. I think our public officials need to own the bulk of the responsibility and do better. Stop playing the blame game and just admit y'all fucked up....especially the damn board of education in various counties. If I had a child in a public school around here I would be pissed. 

On another note: Chocolate is forced to spend another night. We went and put some gas in her car. We managed to get her car to my apartment. I went to publix down the street and bought her a toothbrush. I'm going to take this opportunity to pick her brain about Valentine's Day.
Related Posts with Thumbnails