Friday, August 30, 2013

Kickstarter For Writers?!?


I want to quit my job and write full-time without having to worry about paying bills, bills and more bills. Even though I have a nice savings account, I don't think it would be wise for me to up and quit my job. Money doesn't last forever if you don't have any coming in to replace what leaves. Plus, it is too hard to find a decent job these days. It would be a mistake for me to quit my job.

I have been working on the black lesbian love story I want to read. After months of starting, stopping, and disregarding, I have finally reached the point where I am happy with the direction of my story. It took several months for me to reach this point. I wish I could continue to write without any interruptions, but that simply is not possible. 

For weeks at a time, I have to put my story aside because I'm either consumed with bills, money, general everyday issues or I'm too tired to write. Working 40 hours a day weighs heavy on my ability to write and create. I feel fatigue after coming home from work. On top of that, I often find myself either angry or depressed upon arriving home from work (I guess this is what happens when you're on someone else's clock 8-10 hours of your day).

Yesterday, Yellow Bone suggested I look into getting a grant or starting a Kickstarter campaign to cover my living expenses for a year while I write my novel. I quickly dismissed the grant idea because I have already looked into it. Getting a grant is NOT easy. It is not a short process. It is NOT a process that favors a black lesbian woman period (I'm being honest).

I have never thought about using Kickstarter to "Kickstart" my novel or writing career. Whenever I think about Kickstarter for some reason an image of a poverty stricken indie filmmaker comes to mind...not a writer. I have always associated Kickstarter with struggling filmmakers and those who engage in digital media. So, Yellow Bone's suggestion that I use Kickstarter to finance my life while I finish my novel gave me pause. 

Begging for money doesn't seem quite right to mem and unfortunately, that's another image I have associated with Kickstarter. I am not sure if I would feel comfortable putting myself out there and begging for money. I don't knock anyone who has done it, but I'm not sure if it is a route I'm willing to take. 

I'm not even sure what it takes to run a successful Kickstarter campaign. What if I put myself out there only to have my project ignored? I can't imagine people would donate to a woman who is looking to use their money to cover her living expenses (and possibly the publishing of the novel) while she finishes her novel.

People might look at my Kickstarter campaign and think, "Who the hell does this woman think she is? She better get her ass up and work like the rest of us."

So, I guess I will continue to hack away at my novel when my mind is right and I have free time on my hands.
Related Posts with Thumbnails