Friday, May 31, 2013

Black Creative People: Where The Hell Are They???


This has been a constant area of disappointment for me.

I'm getting ready to launch TWO new blogs. These blogs will be self-hosted and they will use wordpress. 

For the last three weeks I have been seeking a black graphic designer/illustrator, and a black web designer, who is capable of coding and designing a wordpress theme. I know some of you might be thinking, "Why do they have to be black?" Well, there are a few reasons for this...
  1. I expect black folks to already understand my cultural needs and desires. So there is no need to explain every thing I require.
  2. I expect black artist to know the "Souls of black folks" so there is no need to explain why I'm asking for my theme to be red, black and green. 
  3. I expect a black graphic designer/illustrator to KNOW how black men and black women are built physically.  I expect him/her to paint an articulate picture of us.
  4. From past experience, white people (and non-blacks in general) don't get black people...at all period. There is a culture divide in this country. I think it has a lot to do with the De Facto Segregation we live under in this country. 
  5. I pride myself on hiring and employing my own (i.e., other black people). 
As a writer, I often find myself annoyed by my inability to find quality black editors for my work. I know these people exist, but they are not prominent on the web. The same is true for black poets, real black musicians, web designers, jewelry designers, furniture makers and painters etc. If you want to locate these "underground" artist, you have to dig deep. You have to do numerous Google searches and you have to comb through all the major social networks to find these gifted individuals.

I wish there was a way I could find a black artist without having to search half the world. I wish there was a way that I could locate a black funk band for an event without hitting a brick wall. I wish there was a way that I could find a black editor without getting a headache from searching.

This whole ordeal has me so upset that I'm thinking about doing something about it. 

Here in Atlanta we have the "Gay Yellowpages." It is full of gay friendly Atlanta businesses. Why can't something like this exist for black artist? Why can't we have a modern day Green Book for black artist or a Who's Who Amongst Black Artist or just some type of directory listing these people, their work and their contact information? 

I may have inadvertently stepped on my opportunity to become a publisher! 

There is a need. Why can't I be the one to fill it?
Related Posts with Thumbnails