Tuesday, April 23, 2013

My Last Will & Testament


Now that I'm no longer a poor broke public servant I need to establish a last will and testament. I know some of you are thinking, "What the hell, LezIntellect? You're too young for that!" 

If you have money in the bank, and you expect it to grow, you're never too young to have a will.

All too often we hear about people dying (young and old alike) and not leaving a will to outline the allocation of their resources. I decided a long time ago that I'm not going to be one of those people. 

I don't have any dependents. I'm not married and I don't have any kids. I'm hoping and praying that will change one day in the near future. Until that day comes I have to think about my life as a single childless woman. 

On paper I'm worth six figures (before taxes). Just about all of that comes from my royalities (money made from the sell of my books). If I should die tomorrow I want to make sure my affairs are in order. 

I'm writing my own last will and testament.

When I was a librarian I helped enough patrons research last will and testaments to know how to compose one myself.

My will is going to be short and sweet. After all my debts are paid I expect my resources to be allocated as follows: 

I'm setting aside several thousands of dollars for the care of my grandmother, who is currently living out her twilight years in a nursing home. She has given me so much. I love her more than anyone in my life. As far as I'm concerned, as long as I have the means, she will not want for anything. 

I'm going to leave my parents a few thousand dollars (and I do mean a few). 

I am going to leave the rest of my money to Spelman College for the education of young black women. I love my alma mater with all my heart. I always said if I ever found myself in a position to give back I would. When I was a student at Spelman I received a yearly scholarship from the family of a deceased alumnae (they set the scholarship up to honor their mother). I never met the family, but I was extremely grateful for their generosity. I swore I would pass it forward.

It dawned on me that my copyrights are valuable intellectual property. I expect to receive royalties from my books for years and years to come. Therefore, they are just as valuable as the money I have in the bank. So, I've decided to will my copyrights and ALL future royalties to Spelman College. 

When I die I don't want to be put in a casket and buried in the ground. I want to be cremated and I want my ashes dumped into the Atlantic ocean off the coast of Georgia. 

Once I complete my will I plan to put it in the safety deposit box my new employer (the bank) gave me free of charge. It will stay there unless something changes in my life (i.e., a wife and kids).
Related Posts with Thumbnails