Wednesday, March 20, 2013

I'm Finally Putting Pen To Paper


After months of writer's block I finally have the first chapter of my Great American Black Lesbian Novel (LOL!). This is the first time in months that I truly feel motivated to finish a story. I spend every free moment with the Blue Lagoon. I spend almost every night in front of the Blue Lagoon typing my story as it plays out in my head (I never do any prewriting). I must say I'm very pleased with the outcome.

The story that I'm currently working on will be my first attempt to corner the black lesbian book market. The story is VERY original and VERY me! In my head the story is suspense. It is loosely inspired by one of my recent blogs. In that particular blog I detailed my attraction to a friend/associate's "friend." Well, that attraction turns into a love triangle in my story.

I don't want to give too much of the story away, but I'm hoping to complete it by the end of August (if I'm lucky). The only thing slowing my progress is my job. When I get home from work the only thing I want to do is shower, eat, watch TV and sleep. So, it's very hard to sit in front of my typewriter and focus on writing when I'm fatigue. However, I'm committed to moving forward with this story. 

Next thing...

I debated whether or not to mention this, but I recently published my FIRST book on Amazon Kindle. It is titled Souls of Men...


The reason I hesitated to post Souls of Men on this blog is because this is my FIRST attempt at publishing a LITERARY FICTION story/novel on Amazon Kindle. I'm quite certain there are SOME minor formatting issues with the copy featured on the Kindle. However, I don't mind these small issues because I want to learn from my mistakes. It is important that I learn what NOT to do next time I decide to publish a LITERARY FICTION story. For example, I think my cover is too plain. I might change it.

I wrote Souls of Men over a year ago. I posted a rough draft of the prologue on this blog (it has since been deleted) and you, the readers of this blog, gave me some feedback about the story/plot.  

Souls of Men is a fictional story. However, almost all of the main characters are based on people we celebrate in the black community (both dead and alive). The story begins with the character Warren Jackson (a black man) who is a professional athlete. Warren has just been acquitted of sexual abuse charges that were brought against by a black waitress at a restaurant Warren visited with his white wife. After his acquittal, Warren, his wife and his attorney hold a press conference in which he says something along the lines of (and this is paraphrased), "Black women ain't shit! If they disappear today nobody will miss them."


Anyway, the whole situation (and the firestorm that followed) inspired me creatively. I created a story in which black women (and I do define BLACK in my story) all over the world disappear off the face of the planet.

If you are interested in getting the book (only $1.99 on the Kindle) click this link

Oh and for those of you wondering...I do not bash anyone in my story. This is not a "black man bashing book" or anything like that. This is my attempt at writing literary fiction mixed with fantasy and truth. The book explores sexism, internalized racism, classism, white supremacy, self-hate, colorism and elitism within the black community.

In this first book, I introduce my main characters and their backgrounds. I know your interest is piqued so here is the prologue of Souls of Men...

It 

-->
Some say football star Warren Jackson caused it to happen. While others like Georgia senator, Jessie Lee Garrett, blamed black men collectively.
“No other race of men has shown such contempt for their women like black men. Their hatred of black women is a direct reflection of how they feel about themselves, and they have no one but themselves to blame for this situation. It’s their fault for failing to fully appreciate their women. Instead of embracing and loving their women, they opened the door for this…it…to happen,” said Jessie on the floor of the Senate.
It is impossible to say with certainty what really caused it to happen, but most people agree, Warren Jackson’s statements at a press conference held two days before it happened set the bizarre event into motion. Warren, a two time Super Bowl champion and a paid spokesman for several high profile companies, was cleared of all sexual abuse charges filed against him by a black waitress. The waitress accused Warren of fondling her while she served him and his wife at a diner in Charlotte, North Carolina.
“I said I was innocent of these charges and today a jury of my peers agreed with me. God bless America! Justice has truly prevailed in this case,” said Warren, raising his arms victoriously before members of the press who gathered outside the courthouse.
“Mr. Jackson, do you have any comments about the case?” asked a reporter.
“I have never in my life been attracted to black women. I’ve have never so much as looked at a black woman with any type of romantic interest, and I sure as hell have never dated one. Why would I try to sexually abuse a black woman? They mean nothing to me. They are nothing to me. I don’t even have black women in my social circle. For this woman to accuse me of sexual abuse…well it came completely out of left field.”
“But you have black women in your family, correct?” asked another reporter. “You have a black daughter.”
“Correction…my daughter is only half black and I’m raising her to be the antithesis of today’s black women. As for the black women in my family…they might as well be dead to me. They never gave a damn about me when I was growing up…never so much as came to any of my football games when I was kid. It was only after I made it big that they began paying any attention to my talent or me. By then it was too little too late. I already had a bad taste in my mouth thanks to black women in my family. The only woman that has had my back through the good times and the bad is my wife,” said Warren, reaching for his wife Paula’s hand.
Paula didn’t hesitate to step forward. She loved the spotlight. She relished moments like this, which would no doubt lead to several magazine covers and interviews. Dutifully she smiled on cue and nodded in agreement.
“These hurtful accusations have been stressful, but thanks to the support of my wife and kids I have been able to get through this nonsense. My accuser’s real issue with me is my interracial marriage. It’s obvious my real crime, in her eyes, was marrying a white woman.”
Surprised by his candor the press pounced. “So you’re saying these accusations are racially motivated?” asked the same reporter.
“Yes, I believe this whole thing is racially motivated. A bitter, unattractive black woman spots a successful black man with a white woman. She decides to pay the brother back for having the nerve to follow his heart and marry the antithesis of her. She gets the white man, who also hates seeing a black man with an attractive white woman, to lock the black man up on false accusations. Next thing the brother knows he’s fighting for his life against both enemies in a system almost completely controlled by one of them. Black women have been playing this game forever and they are getting desperate. Why? It’s because brothers are now abandoning them in droves. It’s just my luck that the nine people on the jury saw the holes in the prosecution’s case.”
“Let the record show that I have never been in trouble with the law. Never even been pulled over for speeding. The only thing I’m guilty of is having a romantic night out on the town with my white wife.”
“So you think the accuser was jealous of your white wife?” asked another reporter.
At that point Matthew Rolstin, Warren’s attorney stepped forward to intervene, but Warren stopped him. “It’s okay…I will answer the question.”
“Yes, I think she was jealous. Listen folks, you have to understand this is the kind of thing black women do. They hate to see black men—especially successful black men—happy with non-black women. Nothing makes black women more angry than seeing a black man with his act together with a woman from the opposite end of the beauty spectrum. They cry, scream, bitch and moan about brothers marrying outside the race, yet they don’t do any type of self-reflecting to determine why black men are increasingly not attracted to them. I don’t think anyone can understand what black men go through just to find a quality black woman. The vast majority of black women are fat as hell. The typical black woman has kids out of wedlock by several different men. Too many black women have bad nasty attitudes and belligerent personalities. The bad outweighs the good when it comes to black women.
“Black men are tired of black women’s nonsense and to make matters worse no other race of men wants black women. So we can’t even get rid of black women by pawning them off on other races of men. The only way for a black man to get away from black women is to avoid marrying and procreating with black women. We also need to cut off all communication with black women. Brothers need to build a wall of silence around themselves where black women are concerned. That is the only way we will have any peace and happiness.”
“Don’t you think that’s a bit harsh?” asked another reporter. “No race of women has a monopoly on quality and morality. Arguably there are trashy white and Asian women. Again, no race of women has a monopoly on quality and morality.”
“NO! IT’S NOT HARSH! It’s the cold hard TRUTH! Ask any black man out here and he will tell you the same exact thing. Black women are the hardest women to get along with and the ugliest to look at—both inside and out. While there may be some quality black women in the world, those women are outnumbered by hoodrats, single mothers, babymamas, gold diggers, bitches and hoes.
“It’s like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Why break your back trying to locate catfish in a pond full of nasty rotten trout when you can find delicious bass, whitening and tilapia in the pond next door? Seems like a no brainer to me and you can quote me on that!”
That was almost a week ago. Warren Jackson hasn’t been seen or heard from since. A week after it happened his attorney held another press conference to report that Warren was in hiding with his wife and children because he’d received numerous death threats. As an added consequence, Warren also found himself a free agent after his team canceled his contact and all his endorsement deals were dropped. Everyone hoped Warren was off somewhere eating his words and if he wasn’t everyone was hopeful that some heartbroken father, husband uncle or brother would make him eat them.
In the United States it was declared a national emergency. Several nations across the globe followed the United States’ lead and declared it a national emergency though it’d taken three days before anyone—including the United States government—bothered to really care. In fact, the only reason it was declared a national emergency is because President Barack Obama, the white house staff, secret service and the rest of the nation awoke to find three-fourths of the first family—Michelle, Sasha and Malia—gone. To make matters worse, it happened two months before the 2012 presidential election and right in the middle of President Obama’s bid for re-election.
Not surprisingly, after Warren made his comments the only people that stood up for black women were black women. The National Council For Black Women and Girls held a press conference the day after Warren’s public outburst demanding that he publicly apologize for his comments. Shelia Walker, president of the organization, called Warren’s comments “Shameful and degrading.”
“All of humanity came from the womb of the world’s first woman: The Black Woman. Today’s black woman has three enemies: Racism, sexism, and black men like Warren Jackson. It’s a shame that the very men who come from our wombs, who so many of us sacrifice for everyday, are now our worst enemy! I never thought I would see the day when a black man would openly and proudly bash his mother, daughters, cousins, aunts and ancestors. It is disgraceful and it’s a painful reminder that black women and girls can no longer trust and rely on the men we birth,” said Sheila Walker, standing before the press with members of the National Council For Black Women and Girls, who stood silently in unity next to her.
The apology never came because Warren Jackson wasn’t sorry for his remarks. Even if he did feel sorry an apology would have come too late. It happened the day after Sheila Walker demanded an apology. That day the world awoke to discover black women and black girls, the world over, gone! They literally disappeared off the face of the planet.
Related Posts with Thumbnails