Wednesday, March 27, 2013

I Am Going To Create The GOAT Digital Magazine For Gays & Lesbians Of Color


I am moving forward! 

I have decided to push forward with my idea to publish my own digital magazine. My original idea was to create a magazine that caters to lesbians of color, but I've changed my mind. I want my magazine to appeal to both lesbians and gays of color! This will give me the opportunity to reach a broader audience. It will also challenge me to confront my own internalized homophobia (read my archives). 

Digital magazines are the future. My magazine will be available on smartphones, tablets and computers. Digital distribution is a gift from GOD! Digital distribution makes it possible to distribute my magazine internationally with little to no cost. It will also limit my dependency on advertising revenue. Print magazines often depend on advertising to help cover the cost of production. Digital magazines don't need as much advertising (if any).

Each issue will cost between $2.99-$3.99. My goal is to keep my magazine affordable to all. It will enable me to sell more copies!

I have done my research. Digital magazines can be "pure" and straight forward like those you find on newsstands or they can be interactive and include videos! I think a true interactive magazine will set me apart from my competition. 

I've been sizing up the competition. Saj Golde from The Real L Word has created her own magazine called BlackOUT. I won't go into another rant about Saj and her portrayal on the show (I've already stated I'm not fan). I took one look at her magazine and I decided I can do it better. I can do it better and I can make it far more appealing and sexy. So, that's my new goal. I'm going to create a digital magazine that will be the GOAT of ALL magazines targeting gays and lesbians of color. 

I'm looking for writers, copy-editors and graphic designers. It's okay if you don't live in Atlanta. We can still do business. If you're interested email me.
Related Posts with Thumbnails