Sunday, March 3, 2013

Anxiously Awaiting The Arrival Of My New Baby!


I know most of you probably think I'm a nerdy bookworm, which for the most part is true. I'm a proud blerd (black nerd)...one of the few left in the world. This bookworm purchased an IBM Selectric II typewriter last week from a company in Illinois. It looks exactly like the one pictured above (I've already nicknamed it The Blue Lagoon because we'll be spending a great deal of time together on my imaginary island).

I'm so excited because the IBM Selectric is supposed to be the Cadillac of electric typewriters. Even though I love the manual typewriter Yellow Bone gave me, I cannot get down with manual typewriters. I've been spoiled by technology. Typing on a manual typewriter is like washing clothes by hand. It's time consuming and nerve racking. 

I'm in love with manual typewriters, but I cannot create my bestselling novel on a manual typewriter. So, I set off to find an electric typewriter with modern capabilities. My research lead me to the IBM Selectric II and III.



IBM Selectrics are older than me. I think they stopped making IBM Selectrics in 1985 (the year I was born). Prior to doing my research, I didn't know anything about IBM Selectrics. I've only seen one Selectric in my life and that was in elementary school. The school secretary used to type on a Selectric. I remember it was a huge green machine that sat on her desk.

Finding an inexpensive like-new IBM Selectric was damn near impossible. Most of the IBM Selectrics I found were old and in need of repair. I looked all over for one of these machines before I ran across a company that specializes in reconditioning IBM Selectrics. This company takes old IBM Selectrics and transforms them into like-new machines. They chemically bathed them. They oil them. They make sure every feature is in working condition. Then they safely ship the machines to customers.

How much did I pay for this typewriter? $230.00!

Hopefully, it will help me get the ball rolling with my defunct writing career. 
Related Posts with Thumbnails