Saturday, February 16, 2013

How To Subscribe To My Blog


I should have written this blog a long time ago, but it's better late than never. Some of you don't know how to subscribe to a blog. That's okay I will teach you. It is very easy to subscribe to my blog and many others like it. I actually subscribe to my own blog (more on this later) and I find it very convenient. 

I use something called Feedburner to delivery my blog to you. Feedburner (though not really reliable at times) is a service that's offered through Google and allows people like me to syndicate our blogs in an easy painless manner. Every blogger blog already comes with a feed however, that feed does not offer readers various ways to subscribe such as email, yahoo, google reader etc. That's why people like me turn to Feedburner. Feedburner gives users multiple options to subscribe to a blog. Now let's talk about ways to subscribe to this blog...

1). Email: the easiest way to subscribe. If you wish to receive an email everyday between 9AM-11AM this is the best option for you. It is quick and easy. However, email has a HUGE downside. Blogs are ONLY delivered between 9AM-11AM. If I write a blog at 12PM you won't get it via email until the next day between 9AM-11AM. If I write a blog at 8PM you won't get it via email until the next day between 9AM-11AM.

Think of an email subscription this way: You get your morning paper every morning around the same time. The paperboy comes once a day, but the news keeps happening all day. You won't read about that news until the next day when the paperboy drops off your morning paper. That's how email subscription works.

If you wish to subscribe via email just put your email address in the box in the right sidebar. It should look like this...

Once you put your email address in that box a verification code will pop up. Verify that code and check your email and your SPAM folder. You're not subscribed until you verify the email that feedburner sends you. 

2). Google Reader and all other readers: This is the fastest way to get my blog. Once I post a blog my blog feed updates immediately. People who subscribe via Google reader, yahoo, etc get my latest blog post within 20 seconds. There are several ways to subscribe via Google reader etc. 

You can click the subscribe button at the top of my blog in the navigation bar...

Clicking the subscribe button in the navigation bar will take you to my Feedburner page where you can pick from a variety of blog readers or subscribe via email...


You can use this button which appears below each one of my post on this blog to subscribe using Google reader...

Clicking the above button will take you to another page. You will then click Google Reader on the right...




Side note: I think you need an email account to use Google Reader, Yahoo, etc. It is FREE to create one. You will then be able to read my blog through that reader.

You can also subscribe to my blog via email and various readers using this button, which appears in the right sidebar under the email subscription box...

3). Last, but not least, you can subscribe to this blog the way I subscribe to my blog using Firefox (you can follow these same steps if you're using Safari, Opera, etc...I think...don't quote on it). 

Step one: Go to the homepage of my blog using Firefox. 

Step two: Go to bookmarks and click "Subscribe to this page." Scroll down to "Subscribe to Diary of a black lesbian-Rss" and click on it. 



Step Three: In the top left corner you should see a box. The box will read "Subscribe to this feed using live bookmarks." Live bookmarks will be in a scroll menu...don't move it. Useless you plan to use Firefox to subscribe to other blogs you might want to leave the "Always use live bookmarks to subscribe to feeds" unchecked.  Hit the "Subscribe Now" button...


Step Four: A box will pop up that looks likes this...


Hit subscribe if you want your subscription to Diary of A Black Lesbian to appear on your toolbar. If you want it to appear somewhere else change the "Bookmarks Toolbar" scroll to your desired location. I personally recommend that you leave it as "Booksmarks Toolbar."

Step Five: You should now be subscribed to my blog using Firefox etc. You should see Diary of A Black Lesbian in your toolbar with a scroll down menu that navigates to my last 10 blog post. It should look something like this...


And that's it! If you have any questions send me an email or drop your question in the comment section of this post. 
Related Posts with Thumbnails