Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Itching For Something Better


I'm at a point in my life where I desire something better. I hate the routine of my life. Like most people I eat, work, shit, sleep and do it all over again the next day. I need something more. I hate working for someone else. I don't take authority well and I think part of my overall misery comes from being under the foot of someone else. I don't want my money to be dependent on another person. I want to be my own boss.

Someone recently told me I should start my own magazine. The thought has crossed my mind, but I tossed the idea to the side because of the cost associated with such a venture. Recently the idea crossed my mind again. The game has changed. Print magazines are quickly becoming a thing of the past. Digital magazines are the way of the future. 

The invention of tablets and e-readers are a BLESSING for people like me. They have reduced the cost associated with starting a publishing business and self-publishing. I'm seriously thinking about creating a digital magazine. The idea doesn't seem as far fetched to me anymore. 

So what kind of magazine should I create? I don't know. Part of me wants to create a "black" version of The Advocate. Another part of me wants to create a general "black" women's magazine centered around natural hair, books, genealogy, news and media. Both ideas scare the hell out of me. Why? Because I'm not sure either idea will be a hit with readers.

For the most part I don't even understand black lesbians and gays. I feel like an oddity amongst the crowd of black gays and lesbians. The same is true amongst black people in general. I scratch my head so often about things I read, see and hear from black folks that it's damn near impossible for me to find camaraderie amongst the masses. Therefore, I'm not sure if my interest will be a hit with this target audience.

What do you think?
Related Posts with Thumbnails