Sunday, December 9, 2012

A Real Black Lesbian Love Story


Today I began writing the black lesbian love story I long to read. Writing the first few pages of a new story is always the hardest thing in the world for me because the first pages determine whether or not a reader will READ my work or throw it in the trash. If a story doesn't capture my attention in the first ten pages I'm liable to put it down and never come back to it. So, I know how important it is to capture the reader's attention within the first 10-15 pages. 

I won't go into much detail about the story I'm writing, but I've hinted at it in a few recent post. It will be an old-fashioned love story that actually portrays black lesbians as more than sexual beings. My characters will be emotional, intelligent, feminine and above all else they will reflect what I believe is a real/accurate representation of black lesbianism. 

I set my story in the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s and the early 2000s because one of my characters is a R&B superstar and as we all know R&B lost its soul sometime in the late 1990s. So I imagined this character hitting it big when R&B music was at its peak, which in my opinion was in the late 1970s-1980s.

In my head this character has a jazzy/soulful voice like Anita Baker...




Physically she looks something like Shari Headley from Coming To America....


Her love interest is a woman she fell in love with in high school. Though she is not a public figure like the character mentioned above, the love interest is the CEO of a major black hair care company started by her father in the 1950s.  She is also successful in her own right.

The story will take place over the course of 3 and 1/2 decades. I will explore homophobia, sexism, racism, classism and self-loathing on the part of both characters. Some of their experiences will match my own.

That's all I'm willing to give away for now. Please leave your feedback in the comment section.
Related Posts with Thumbnails