Wednesday, July 4, 2012

My First & Only Asian Friend

My First & Only Asian Friend

A few weeks ago I met my first and only Asian friend. We were paired together at work. From my understanding she doesn't talk very much to anyone nor does she smile very much. She is very timid and docile. She is slim and almost looks like a teenage girl. The only thing that gives away her age are the tiny wrinkles under her eyes. She is middle age. So yes, all the stereotypes about Asian women fit this woman.

What's so interesting about her? She and I became instant and very close friends. I love her in a way that I have never loved a friend.

I have never warmed to any woman on a purely friendship level the way I have warmed to this woman. She may not speak to any of our other co-workers but she laughs and jokes with me. She is the kindest person I have ever met. I love her. We have a great time together. Something about her really warms my heart.

I have never felt this way about a friend (and we are JUST FRIENDS...for those of you wondering). I have never felt this way about any black female friend. This Asian woman warms my heart and makes me feel fuzzy inside. I'm not sure why this is so. It is a weird and interesting feeling.

I think I bond with black women on a soulful "I understand you as a black woman" kind of level whereas I bond with my Asian friend on a "I understand you as a human being" kind of level. I cannot explain it in words.

Almost all of my friends are black. I have had white associates. But I have NEVER had an Asian friend or an Asian associate. There are a number of reasons for this:
  1. Here in Atlanta the only Asians I ever encounter own almost all the businesses in the black community and they aren't exactly friendly.
  2. Outside of said businesses I never encounter any Asians. I'm not sure where they live but they don't live anywhere near my mixed community. 
  3. I don't believe there are many Asians in Georgia period. They are a small minority here.
  4. Because of number ONE I held my own prejudice beliefs about Asians and I treated them accordingly...which means I stirred clear of them and their businesses.
I think culture differences (and racism) is keeping us as a society from embracing others who are different from us. I am so happy I met this woman because she has opened my eyes to my own ignorance and forced me to exam my own prejudice beliefs.
Related Posts with Thumbnails