Saturday, July 7, 2012

My Epic Novel


Tonight I spent two hours talking to one of my mentors (a writer and playwright herself) about Keepers Of The Race (still a working titled), the novel I personally believe is going to be my great epic. It is going to be my Roots, my Gone With The Wind...it's going to be the novel that puts me on the map!

This novel is so deep and so profound that my mentor, who has been in the business for years, found herself struck by its depth (and probably surprised at it's length...the first chapter is 80 pages single spaced). She was just as excited as I was about it. She and I went back and forth about the story and all the social dynamics in the story. This story has everything. It has sexism, racism, colorism, and classism. It is controversial. It is thought-provoking. It is going to piss some people off and create dialogue...not only in the black community but in America period.

I'm so excited. I'm so thrilled because I feel like I've finally found my voice. After years of struggling, literally crying tears of pain because at one point I lost all hope for a career as a writer, I have finally found my way. I'm so happy right now.

***This novel is part of the reason I had to take a step back from Cherry Hills. I am not capable of focusing on more than one project at a time. But Cherry Hills is coming along nicely.
Related Posts with Thumbnails