Tuesday, June 15, 2010

I'm Thinking of Relocating

I have been stuck in the state of Georgia my whole life, and well at this point it's become quite depressing.  The economy/job market here sucks. The women here suck.  There really isn't much to do here as far as the arts go and this state is closed-minded when it comes to those of us who are "different."

I'm not happy here. 

Lately I've been thinking about leaving this country and maybe moving to the UK. They seem to more liberal in terms of accepting lesbians and gays, but I don't know if I would like it as a woman of color. I hear black men and black women over there can't stand each other--and most black men date/marry interracially. The last thing I need is to move from one fucked up black community to another. 

So, now I'm thinking about D.C. or NY. I love D.C. because it brings a combination of the south and a major city. New York, on the other hand, is a major city and nothing else. I don't know how happy I would be there. I could buy property in D.C., but in NY I'm pretty damn sure I would be walking the poverty line. This is probably one the benefits that GA offers--I'm middle class here and can buy property. In other parts of the United States I would be considered POOR. 

One day I hope to retire in a beach community like Savannah. I love the beach. I could easily see myself living there with my other half and our kids. I suppose my finances would have to be better before that day comes....sigh. There really isn't much opportunity out here now. I recently heard that my generation is going to make far less than my parents generation before us. I can believe it! We're graduating from college with more debt, more responsibility, and more headaches. I probably won't even get the chance to retire until I'm eighty!

Anyway, I guess I can keep dreaming....more than likely I will die right here in good old Georgia.
Related Posts with Thumbnails